Your hosting Finnish institution can advise you on local student discounts and student housing costs!

Cost of living

The general cost of living is relatively high and the monthly living expenses for a student are approximately 700€ - 900€, depending on where you study. In the Helsinki metropolitan area and other larger cities costs are typically higher than in smaller cities. Choosing student housing can often be the most cost-effective option (see Accommodation).

Note that if you are a non-EU/EEA citizen, you will need to show that you have enough funding at your disposal when you apply for your student residence permit – see section Visas and residence permits.

If you’re a citizen of an EU/EEA/Nordic country, you do not need a residence permit to study in Finland, see the section on Registration – however you are also expected to cover your living costs independently.

Some related matters

Currency: Euro (€) - You can also use most international credit cards.

Scholarships: The available scholarship options depend on the level of your study, and also on your nationality. For advice, see Tuition fees and scholarships

Tuition fees: If you are a non-EU student applying to an English-taught Bachelor's or Master's degree programme, you need to check the tuition fee and scholarship details with the university you're applying to. See advice at Non-EU tuition fees and scholarships

Student union fees: As a university student, you are required to pay an annual student union fee, which is approximately 80-100€. Similar student unions also exist at the UAS’s (universities of applied sciences) but the membership is optional there. By joining your local student union, you get a student card which brings you many benefits!

Student discounts: With your student card, you are entitled to discounts in student restaurants and public transportation, along with many other places.

Banks: There are many banks operating in Finland and we recommend that you open a Finnish bank account after your arrival. You can ask your student affairs office, tutors, or fellow students to assist you with this. The bank of your choice can also advise you on the detailed requirements and procedures.

Work: Note that while part-time work is allowed on a student residence permit, it may not be easy to find a job especially if you do not speak Finnish or Swedish. See section Working for some advice on this.