Student organisations

photo: Satu Haavisto

Student organisations

Student unions

Each higher education institution in Finland has a local student union to look after students’ interests. The university student unions have a national umbrella organisation, the National Union of University Students in Finland (SYL). Similarly, UAS student unions belong to the Union of Students in Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences (SAMOK).

To join your local student union, you need to pay a student union fee. By joining, you’ll get a Finnish student card that makes you eligible to many student discounts. See section on Local student unions for advice!

Student clubs and associations

On top of the student unions, which operate on a national and institutional level, your faculty or department most probably has its own student club. In addition to that, there usually are several separate clubs and student associations that centre around some hobby, sport, or other interest. You will find information about these on your institution’s student union websites, noticeboards, from the student services, or your fellow students. Participation in these associations and clubs is usually free of charge.