After studies

So, you fell in love with Finland and now you want to stay! This means finding a full-time job after you’ve graduated. You can be prepared for the job hunt by pursuing work during your studies, for example having a part-time job in your field while still studying may act as a springboard to full-time employment upon graduation.

To help you get started, you should check what career-related student services your Finnish home university or UAS has on offer. They might for example arrange job fairs in cooperation with prospective employers, or organise job searching skills seminars and other information sessions. Contact them to learn more about what services they provide.

The general advice in the section Working during studies is also valid when it comes to seeking permanent employment after your studies, so please also refer to the advice found in that section.

One-year residence permit extension to look for employment

As a non-EU student who has stayed in Finland on a student residence permit, you can apply for an extended residence permit for up to a year after your graduation to search for work. If you find employment, you can then of course apply for a new residence permit based on this employment.

Note that you need to apply for a residence permit for seeking work in Finland during the time your permit granted for studies is still valid.

More information on this matter can be found on the Finnish Immigration Service Migri website.

Permanent residence in Finland

After you’ve resided on a 'continuous' basis for a certain time in Finland after your graduation, for example as an employed person, it is also possible to apply for permanent residence. Please see the Migri website for detailed info on the rules and requirements for this.