Photo: Satu Haavisto

Tuition and scholarships

  • Bachelor's and Master's level tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students will be introduced from autumn 2017 onwards, there will also be new scholarship options available
  • Bachelor's and Master's level non-EU scholarships are offered by the universities in the fee-charging degree courses
  • CIMO scholarship schemes are available for Doctoral / PhD level

Plan your student financing carefully

One important aspect of study or research in Finland is considering how to finance your studies. As an international student you are usually required to independently cover your everyday living expences like food, accommodation, travel, insurance, etc. If you are a non-EU/EEA student applying for English-taught Bachelor's or Master's programmes, you are likely to be subject to tuition fees - but the universities also have scholarship options available for these degree courses.

Advice regarding the Bachelor's and Master's level non-EU tuition fees and related scholarships is available in the section Tuition fees 2017

How much money will you need?

We recommend that you reserve at least 700-900 euros per month for your living expenses in Finland. The minimum amount to have at your disposal, as required by the immigration authorities, is currently 560 euros per month / 6720 euros per year. In addition to this, you should be prepared to cover your travel costs, insurance etc. independently.

If you are a non-EU/EEA student, you are also likely to be required to pay tuition fees. The universities/UAS's offer scholarship options for gifted non-EU/EEA students admitted to fee-charging degree courses.

Please carefully read the sections:

Can I earn extra money by working during studies?

Part-time work is allowed for students of all nationalities - but part-time work may not be easy to find especially if you do not know Finnish or Swedish. That's why you should not base your financial plans solely on the option of finding part-time employment during your studies. Also keep in mind that earnings from possible part-time work may not in themselves be sufficient to cover all your living expenses. Please refer to the section Working during studies for some information and advice concerning this!

Scholarships for Bachelor’s and Master’s level

Generally speaking, there are few if any scholarships available for Bachelor's or Master's studies in Finland - especially if you are not subject to tuition fees (EU/EEA citizens). However, scholarships for non-EU/EEA students admitted to fee-charging Bachelor's or Master's are offered by the universities/UAS's - see section Tuition fees 2017

In the Erasmus Mundus Master's programmes, scholarships are available, too. The Erasmus Mundus scholarships are always applied via the university consortium offering the Erasmus Mundus Master's programme in question (this is not necessarily a Finnish university). Please also see the section concerning EU scholarships.

You might wish to check if you would be eligible to apply for some "study abroad" scholarships in your home country, and from international organisations and foundations. For information on these, please turn to the educational advisers and authorities in your home country. See also the Other sources of funding section on this site.

Additionally, if full degree studies are not an option for you, you could check if there are some student exchange options that you could apply for. See the section on Exchange programmes for more info.

Scholarships for Doctoral (PhD) level

Scholarships in Finland are currently available mainly only for Doctoral level studies and research - for example the CIMO scholarship options. Please refer to the left-hand margin menu for information on different scholarship options.

Remember that first of all, you need to apply for a study/research placement - see section Doctoral admissions for advice & links to the universities' Doctoral Admissions pages!

Scholarships for post-Doctoral studies and research

CIMO (Study in Finland) has no scholarships or other funding opportunities for post-Doc level students and researchers. You can refer to the section Other sources of funding for some links that might help you forward in this regard (for example the Academy of Finland website.

Brazilian post-Doc researchers can profit from the Ciëncia sem Fronteiras PhD and post-Doc programme administered by the Academy of Finland.

Share |