Tuition fees and scholarships 2017

Tuition fees and related new scholarship options will be introduced for non-EU/EEA students in Finland from August 2017 onwards, in English-taught Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes. Doctoral studies will remain free of tuition fees.

Who will need to pay fees?

The fees concern non-EU/EEA degree students who start their studies in English-taught Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes in August 2017 or after that.

The fees do not concern those non-EU/EEA students who

  • have started their degree studies in Finland before autumn 2017 *
  • are enrolled in Doctoral/PhD level studies and research
  • study temporarily in Finland as part of an official student exchange programme
  • study in degree programmes taught in Finnish or Swedish (see section Studying in Finnish or Swedish)
  • are EU/EEA citizens or their family members (spouse / child)
  • are already residing in Finland or some other EU country on a permanent basis (i.e. are equivalent to EU citizens **)

*) in principle, the new legislation would allow universities to start collecting fees already in 2016, but in most universities/UAS's this is unlikely to happen. According to our present information, fees will take effect only from autumn 2017 study start onwards.

**) continuous (A) or permanent (P/P-EU) residence permit type

If you are unsure about whether you are subject to tuition fees, check the 'Am I required to pay tuition fees?' section on the application site. If necessary, contact the Admissions Office of the university/UAS you're planning to apply to for further advice.

How much will the annual tuition fee be?

The minimum annual tuition fee as set in the legislation is 1500 EUR. However, do note that tuition fees are likely to be higher than the minimum.

Currently, the annual fees are estimated to be between 5.000 to 20.000 EUR approximately, depending on the university or degree programme. A maximum level has not been set for the fees. Each university/UAS independently decides their fee structure.

Note also that the fees may be degree programme specific so the fees can vary also within one individual university/UAS.

Please refer to our list of tuition fee links to find out about the tuition fees in individual Finnish universities and UAS's!

Will there be financial support available for non-EU/EEA students?

Yes. Finnish universities and UAS's will provide new scholarship/financial support options for gifted non-EU/EEA students enrolled in the fee-charging degree programmes.

Depending on the university/UAS, these non-EU/EEA student scholarships may be offered in the form of e.g. full or partial fee waivers, performance-based refunds, etc. Some individual scholarship options may also include a living cost allowance.

Where can I find detailed info on the fees and scholarship/financial support options?

Detailed information on the extent of individual universities' fees and related financial support options will become available during 2016. The universities and UAS's will publish information on their fees on their own websites, each according to their own schedule.

Please follow our Tuition fee information listed by institution page and the institutions' own websites for updates on the forthcoming fees and scholarship options.

Share |