Fees and Costs

Tuition fees

If you are from outside the EU/EEA area, you are required to pay tuition fees for bachelor’s and master’s level programmes which are taught in English. Some exceptions may apply. If you are uncertain what the fees are, check in the Studyinfo.fi programme specific descriptions, or from the university you are applying to. You can also use the "Am I required to pay tuition fees?" checklist at Studyinfo.fi.

Remember that if you are required to pay tuition fees, you are also eligible to apply for the institution’s scholarships. Each university has its own scholarship programme. So check the available scholarship options with the university or UAS you're applying to!

On doctoral level tuition fees are not charged, regardless of your nationality.

Living expenses

You are usually also required to independently cover your everyday living costs.

Monthly living expenses for students (including food, accommodation, travel, insurance, etc.) are around €700 - €900, depending on where you live and your personal living habits. Living costs are typically higher in larger cities than in smaller ones. 

Student union fees

University students are required to pay an annual student union fee, which is approximately €80 - €100. There are similar student unions at universities of applied sciences (UAS), but the membership is optional. When you join your local student union you get a student card entitling you to discounts in places like student restaurants and when using public transport.