Bachelor’s and master’s admissions

Apply at

Applying for higher education degree studies in Finland is done online at

At the application portal you can find for example:

If you need advice on your application, get in touch with the Admissions Services of the university you are applying to. You can find their contact details at, or on the universities' own admissions info pages

There is no application fee, applying is always free.

How to apply

The application route and period depends on the degree programme, so always start by searching for the study programme(s) you'd wish to apply to. After choosing your programme(s), it is easy for you to check the application period and other admission-related details with those particular universities you are interested in.

Joint application

The joint application to studies starting in autumn (September) is arranged annually in January (418 Jan in 2023). All degree programmes available via the joint application share the same application period. Joint application also means that you can apply to up to six degree programmes with one single application.

A small number of individual degree programmes may also offer a January study start option. To these, the joint application period is usually open in September (31 Aug14 Sept in 2022). Note however that the September joint application for studies starting in January has a rather limited selection of programmes on offer compared to the January joint application.

Separate applications

Some degree programmes can have their application periods open before or after the joint application periods. You can read more about separate applications at In separate applications, the application period can vary a lot depending on the programme.

In many cases, the separate applications periods fall between the period from late November/early December to late January, for studies starting in autumn, but some universities/UAS's may also offer application options through rolling admissions over a period of several months. So, as there is a lot of variation in "separate application" periods, it is always recommendable to check the exact application period with the university/UAS of your choice. 


When applying for bachelor’s programmes, you usually need to hold such school-leaving certificates that make you eligible to apply for higher education in your home country. You'll need your upper secondary school certificates, even if you have completed some higher education studies after that. 

For master’s level admissions, you need to have completed a university-level bachelor’s degree, or equivalent. For UAS master’s, there is an additional requirement of at least 2 years of work experience in the field after completing one's bachelor's degree.

The exact requirements may vary from one degree programme to another, so always check the details with the university and degree programme you are interested in. For example, if you are an eligible applicant, you may additionally be required to complete an entrance exam, SAT test, or an interview. 

If English is not your first language, you may need to demonstrate your English proficiency level. IELTS and TOEFL are the most commonly accepted options, but many institutions also offer others. Check the English proficiency test requirements and any possible exemption rules with the university you are applying to.

Admission results

After the application period and any entrance exams are over, the universities you’ve applied to will process your application and make a final admission decision. The admissions decision schedule is available in the programme description. 

Once you have been accepted as a student, you will receive an official letter of admission from the institution in question. Remember to follow the guidelines given by the university to confirm your study place. Note that you can only accept one study place per term, even if you receive several offers.

Having accepted your study place, you can start applying for your student residence permit. Start your student residence permit application process as soon as possible after your acceptance.