Personal data means information in which an individual person can be identified.
The Finnish National Agency for Education complies with the legislation concerning data protection and processes personal data according to good data management and data processing practices.
What information do we collect and from what sources?
Personal data is primarily collected from the users themselves – either when submitting inquiries to our online advisory service www.studyinfinland.fi/contact or based on the observation of service usage.
Data provided by the user:
- contact details such as name and e-mail address when completing the online contact form at Studyinfinland.fi
- other information collected with the user's permission (country of origin, gender, etc.)
- possible other personal information included in the customer queries themselves.
Data obtained when observing service usage:
- usage and browsing data related to service features
- website usage is analysed with Google Analytics. Google Analytics sets cookies to the computer to be able to analyse website usage. The cookies provide information on how you use the website (including your IP address). The information is used to assess website usage, to compile usage reports for the owner of the website and to offer other services related to the activities on the website and internet usage.
- other data collected with the user's permission.
For what purpose is data collected?
Study in Finland (Finnish National Agency for Education) may process personal data for the following purposes:
- answering customer inquiries and feedback
- customer satisfaction surveys
- producing, maintaining, protecting and developing services
Do we disclose personal data?
The Finnish National Agency for Education does not normally disclose any personal data. However, your personal data may be disclosed in the following situations:
1. Your consent
- with your explicit consent, personal data can be disclosed, for example, to a third party for a service provided by it
2. Subcontractors and service providers
- Subcontractors and service providers must not use the personal data disclosed to them for any other purposes than those described in this privacy statement and those determined by the Finnish National Agency for Education. The Finnish National Agency for Education obliges subcontractors and service providers to maintain the confidentiality of the data and to ensure that appropriate data security and data protection are implemented to protect personal data.
3. International data transfers
- The Finnish National Agency for Education makes efforts to always implement the services and to process personal data primarily within the EU and the EEA, using operators and services established in these areas. If this principle is exceptionally and on a case by case basis deviated from, thorough reports regarding the implementation of data protection and data security in the service concerned are required from the service.
4. Use in research
- We may disclose data for scientific or other studies, provided that the data concerned has first been changed into a form in which individual persons can no longer be identified.
5. Disclosures due to mandatory legislation
- under the law, your personal data can be disclosed to other authorities for official use.
Data transfer to third countries
How do we process personal data?
Our personnel may process personal data according to the legislation concerning data protection in force at the time. We may also partly outsource the processing of personal data to a third party, in which case we will through contractual arrangements guarantee that personal data is processed in accordance with the Personal data act and appropriately also in other ways.
What do we do to protect personal data?
The registers are maintained and protected through different technical and organisational measures. We ensure that our system is fault tolerant and that it is possible to recover data. These protection measures include access control, physical access control, technical solutions such as firewalls, and password protection. These measures enable access to the stored data only for named employees of the Finnish National Agency for Education and for service providers with a contractual relationship with the Agency.
We inform the police and the National Cyber Security Centre Finland of possible data security threats and possible data security violations directly through the services. We may also temporarily close services to protect personal data.
How long do we store your personal data?
The Finnish National Agency for Education stores the user's data in accordance with the legislation in force at the time and only as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes described in this privacy statement. When the grounds for processing your personal data no longer exist, we will remove your personal data.
What rights do you have?
You have a legal right to inspect what data we have collected about you. You also have the right to demand that incorrect, incomplete, unnecessary or outdated personal data be corrected or removed.
You can exercise your rights by contacting the controller mentioned below.
Who is the controller and who can you contact?
The Finnish National Agency for Education (Business identity code 2769790-1) acts as the controller and you can contact us in the following ways:
Finnish National Agency for Education / Communications
PO Box 380 (street address: Hakaniemenranta 6)
FI-00530 Helsinki, Finland
e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
telephone (switchboard): +358 29 533 1000