Residence Permits

In Finland, as a non-EU/EEA student planning to pursue degree studies, you can apply for a student residence permit for the whole duration of your studies once you have secured admission. Isn't that great!
Group of students at university

The student residence permit can be granted for the full length of your studies and allows you to work up to 30 hours per week. For research or doctoral studies, you will need a separate residence permit for scientific research, valid for up to two years.

Application Process 

Once admitted to a Finnish institution, you are ready to start the residence permit application:

  • Apply through the Enter Finland portal, making sure you have all required documents.
  • After submitting your application online, book and attend an appointment at the nearest Finnish embassy or consulate for identity verification.
  • There is a waiting period while your permit is processed after your embassy visit. Use this time to prepare for your move but keep an eye on your application status through the Enter Finland portal.
  • Before traveling to Finland, double-check that you have all the right documents and stay updated with the Finnish Border Guard for the latest entry requirements.

After graduation, you can apply for a two-year permit to seek work or start a business. Permanent residence is possible after four years on a continuous residence permit, including your study period, especially if you are employed post-graduation.

For more detailed advice, consult directly with the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) and the Finnish embassy or consulate in your country.