Finland wants to support students and researchers who have fled the war in Ukraine. Finnish higher education institutions offer study opportunities, and university and national level initiatives offer concrete support for those whose study plans have been disrupted by the war.

Information will be updated to this site as it is available, so make sure to check back for updates, and check with higher education institutions for more detailed information!


  • If your studies in a Ukrainian university have been interrupted

    People who hold a study place in a higher education institution in Ukraine are eligible for a separate study right to Finnish higher education institutions on humanitarian grounds.The study right varies by university but is usually for a maximum of two years and 120 ECTS points, and it does not provide student status or lead to a degree.

    Decisions on admission criteria and granting of study right are taken by individual higher education institutions. There is no tuition fee for the studies for students who fulfill the criteria.

    For more information on programmes in which study opportunities are available, see the subpage "Study opportunities", where you will find links to available options and relevant university pages.
  • If you are a researcher in a Ukrainian university

    National support measures have been prepared for scholars and doctoral students from Ukrainian universities to continue their work at Finnish higher education institutions. Detailed information on these support measures is published on the subpage "For researchers and staff".

  • If you wish to pursue higher education studies but have no study right yet

    Finnish higher education institutions offer those who have fled Ukraine the right to study for free in open university. The studies in open university vary in scope. A link to a summary of available options is available on the subpage "Study opportunities"

    Those wishing to study for a full degree in Finland may apply to higher education studies through the normal admission process. When applying for bachelor’s programmes, you usually need to hold such school-leaving certificates that make you eligible to apply for higher education in your home country. You can apply for degree studies with a Ukrainian certificate regardless of whether the studies were completed in Ukraine before coming to Finland or as distance learning after coming to Finland.

    The joint application for international degree programmes starting in the autumn 2024 will open in January 2024. Ukrainian students can apply to these programmes also if they have already started studies under the special study right option.

    Students from outside the EU/EEA area are required to pay tuition fees for bachelor’s and master’s level programmes which are taught in English. However, higher education institutions offer scholarships to cover the costs for tuition fees either partially or wholly.

Supporting Immigrants in Higher Education in Finland - SIMHE

SIMHE-services facilitate access of migrants and refugees to higher education studies, language studies and employment in the Finnish labour market. 

You can contact SIMHE-higher education institutions directly for advice and guidance. A list of institutions involved in SIMHE activities with their contact details can be found on the EDUFI website.

ETF Information Resource Hub - education and work information for Ukrainians

The European Training Foundation, as part of the EU response efforts to the Russian aggression in Ukraine, has started an Information Resource Hub. The Hub aims at supporting two target audiences: 1) people fleeing Ukraine who seek information on studies and finding employment in Europe 2) educational institutions and employers in EU who deal with the Ukrainian potential applicants for studies and jobs. The page offers information by EU country and information is updated.